What will the wisdom tooth extraction procedure be like?
Dr. Sibia will be able to tell during a routine X-ray and exam if you need to have your wisdom teeth removed. However, if you are experiencing pain and you think it might be because of wisdom teeth, don’t wait until your next dental exam — head to Ace Dental right away!
We offer sedation options to help ensure you are relaxed and comfortable during the procedure. We’ll take x-rays while planning your unique treatment plan. This will enable us to carefully extract the wisdom teeth in a way that is minimally invasive so that you heal quickly. After the wisdom teeth are removed, stitches will be placed, and then some gauze to help control the bleeding.
What kind of wisdom teeth extraction pain will there be?
The pain after wisdom teeth extraction is typically mild to moderate. It will usually last for 24 to 36 hours after the extraction, and will gradually diminish after the third day. If you have severe pain after 24 hours, if you have excessive or severe bleeding that won’t stop, or if you have swelling that persists beyond three days post-surgery, call us at Ace Dental right away.
What do I need to know about wisdom teeth extraction aftercare?
- Avoid harsh brushing and flossing around the site for a week after the procedure.
- Avoid drinking through straws, smoking, drinking alcohol or carbonated beverages, and hot beverages for at least a day after your surgery. Any of these can make bleeding worse by removing blood clots that have formed over the surgery site.
- If you are given a prescription for pain medication, use that as directed. Many patients manage pain with over-the-counter pain medication. Take your pain medication before the freezing starts to wear off and on a full stomach.
- He may also prescribe an antibiotic and/or antibiotic mouthwash. Make sure you use these as directed for as long as you are directed.
- For swelling, use ice packs for the first day. Don’t use any heat until 24 hours after the procedure, as this can encourage bleeding. Sleep with your head elevated to reduce swelling.
- Don’t skip meals after the procedure. Start with cold liquids, such as Ensure or Instant Breakfast, and then gradually introduce soft foods. You may not feel like eating, but in the end it will make you feel better and stronger, and heal faster.
How long will it take to recover from wisdom teeth extraction?
You should plan on resting the day of the surgery and the next day. For a week after your surgery, you should avoid strenuous activity, although you can get back to most of your regular activities after those initial two days of rest.
Is it time to have your wisdom teeth removed? Give us a call.